Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Obama's Inaugural Address 2013

After listening to Obama's Inaugural Address, I am very impressed. I am not too big into politics these days and I don't usually listen to political speeches, but I actually did enjoy listening to this speech. Obama without a doubt is an extremely personable and passionate human being. You don't have to necessarily agree with Obama, but one can see that Obama is a very good person and he has views, ethics, and beliefs that I know I myself, and other people can relate to and can respect. Obama knows the right things to say and has this special way of making us, the people of the United States, feel connected with him. He starts his speech off by addressing us as his "fellow citizens" which right off the bat made me feel connected with him. I didn't view him as our superior President, but as a citizen, just like me. 

As a citizen in this country, I want to be able to relate to Obama and I want to be able to feel a connection between him. I want our leader to understand how we the people are feeling when regarding certain things, issues, and events. Obama uses the words "we" and "us" throughout his entire speech and I really think this is a vital part of using ethos successfully. He stresses that we must move forward together as one WHOLE nation "We made ourselves anew, and vowed to move forward together.” Here Obama is touching on the fact that we as a nation vowed to move forward together, as a whole. We won't be able to become a better America if we all don't work together. Obama knows how to touch the audience and he knows how to bring us all together and make us feel like we are a whole. 

Obama is clearly a very gifted and talented speaker. His voice is one of the strongest speaking voices I have ever heard. You can hear it in his voice and I feel like his voice is one of the strongest voices in this country. There are many ways to use ethos the wrong way, but I believe Obama knows exactly how to use ethos, without a doubt. Obama uses all 3, pathos, logos, and ethos very well in his speeches. I believe ethos is his strong skill. Especially considering that he is President of the United States, he has to be able to use ethos correctly. The definition of ethos is "The characteristic spirit of a culture, era, or community as seen in its beliefs and aspirations". I believe this describes Obama's speech. He truly represents America as a whole. He brings us together as a nation and as a community. He knows what we as America want to see in this country, and I truly was convinced that he truly cares and that he is going to do whatever he can to kick start the US.



No comments:

Post a Comment